Friday, August 1, 2008

WEEKEND MOVIE - West Side Story (1961)

ATTENTION: Hey guys, this is my new feature "WEEKEND MOVIE". Before the weekend, I shall recomend (or rather "praise") a particular movie that I "feel" or am raving about in the momment. First one this week it is...

WEST SIDE STORY (1961)

"Tonight, tonight; it all began tonight. I saw you and the world went away."

Director: Robert Wise & Jermon Robbins
Cast: Natalie Wood, Richard Beyemer, Georga Chakaris, Rita Moreno, Russ Tamblyn, Simon Oakland, Ned Glass, William Bramely, Tucker Smith

Set in 1950's New York, "West Side Story" is a musical retelling of William Shakespeare's "Romeo & Juliet" set to the backdrop of Puerto Rican and Caucasian gang wars and the music of Sodhiem and Bernstien. As I re-watched "West Side Story" again I relived the magic of Tony and Maria and their struggle for their forbidden love. The screen wasn't only "technically" beautiful, but the amazing voices and music set around the film was magnificent and heavenly. The movie doesn't deserve all the bashing it receives. I also realized that Richard Beyemer did a performance to remember. He is too underrated. From his performance of "Something's Coming" to his naive acting when he sings "Maria", he is outstanding. Rita Moreno runs a close second. The direction is fantastic and the film is just so magical. Re-watch it, you won't regret it.

THE JETS OWN THE STREET - Riff (Russ Tamblyn) leads his "Jets" gang in a dance around New York city in the opening of the 1961 Academy Award winner for Best Picture.

TONY AND MARIA SING "TONIGHT" - "Only you, your the only thing I see, forever. In my eyes, in my ears and in everything I do. Nothing else but you EVER." "And there's nothing for my but Maria, every site that I see is Maria."

MARIA IN GRIEF - Natalie Wood in a compelling scene asking God to "Please make it not be true!" when she learns her lover is the one who killed her brother.

NOTHING WILL BREAK THEM APART - "Somehow, someday, we'll find a new way of living. We'll find a way of foriving. Somewhere, somehow..."

BAM! SAD ENDING -
"I-I didn't believe hard enough."
"Loving is enough."
"Not here. They won't lest us be."
"Then we'll run away."
"Yeah, we can."
"Yes."
"We will..."
"[Singing] Hold my hand and we're half way there, hold my hand and I'll take you there. Somehow! Someday! Some-"

"TE ADORO, ANTONE."

No comments: