Sunday, June 1, 2008

Movie Review: When Love Begins… (2008, Jose Javier Reyes)


* *

Cast: Aga Muhlach, Ann Curtis, Boots Anson-Roa, Jon Avila, A.J. Dee, Christopher De Leon, Desiree Del Valle, Gemme Fitzgerald
Screenplay: Jose Javier Reyes
120 minutes / Color

I admit, I like Filipino movies, even if they are extremely far-fetched, stupid and none-quality. But this was just too much. It was boring, badly acted and very disappointing. I like love stories too, but I never knew that it would be this boring. I wanted them to break up, get together—whatever, I just wanted it to be over. I left the theater mad and I felt that my money was wasted.

Starring big Filipino film star Aga Muhlach as love struck, Ben Cabellero, he was probably the only one who did a good thing—a comeback! Set in the tourist filled Boracay Island in the Philippines; we are introduced to couple Ben and a beautiful, younger woman Mitch Valmonte (Anne Curtis). Though they hit it of real fast, its when there together when they’ll be facing real problems.

Ben was a lawyer, but doesn’t practice law anymore. Now he is just an environmental activist in love. Mitch is a comfortable, fashionable working girl who works for her father’s corporation. When Mitch’s fathers plan to put up a subdivision in a place Ben was against, they break up and decide to be together only if it’s meant to be.

At the end, they find each other and they end up together. Easy to say right? Oh no…Through out the journey, they face twists and turns and irrelevant inner stories of their families lives. Especially Ben’s mother’s struggle against cancer.

It was a bore fest of bore fests. And not something you would expect this director to make. It was terrible. I guess I’m just kind enough not to give it a one.

Anne Curtis was in a performance that was only vain for herself. She didn’t do anything but stand around and look pretty. She sounded scripted and was heinous at everything she did. I would have rather seen an older woman doing a better job, then this young beauty practically ruining the film. They should know better to star a minor with the greats of Muhlach.

Muhlach was good. He was the same as he always was. No touch lost and I think if he could pursue a acting career again. What an unfortunate waste that this had to released. Waste of money and waste of time.

“When Love Begin…” is lowly recommend. And I think the critics would agree. As much as you want to take you lover to a date movie, do not watch this one. It’s dragging, boring and absolutely not my cup of tea. Thumbs down. The love did not begin…

No comments: